Physical activity is a must for anyone who wishes to lose weight. But, most people find it daunting to exercise, especially if they have been leading a sedentary lifestyle. However, to get your body into the moving track need not be that difficult. Here is how you can get moving to lose weight.
Create a plan
The first thing that you need to do to get moving is to pick up activities that interest you. There are so many activities that could help you lose weight- swimming, jogging, cycling, yoga and more. But, since you are just starting with it, walking could be a good option.
Once you have chalked out your activities, next you need to figure out your monthly plan. Try to allocate time for your exercise for each day. After you have fixed a schedule for yourself, you also need to set goals. You need to decide how frequently or for how long you would exercise. Whenever you meet these goals, make it a point to reward yourself. This way you will have something to look forward to.
Before you finally hit the treadmill or move on with exercise, you need to give your body some warm up exercises. You need to be more active on an everyday basis. Here are a few tips.
* Walk to the nearby store instead of taking your car.
* Opt for the stairs instead of the escalators or the lift each time you need to climb the stairs up or down.
* If you wish to speak to your co-worker, walk down the hall instead of using the intercom.
* Talk as you walk on your mobile phone. You would not realize the number of calories you burn.
* When travelling in a bus, stand instead of sitting.
* Park the car far away. This will ensure that you have to walk a couple of steps before you reach it.
* Avoid taking short cuts. Instead, take the longer route to your destination, if you are on foot.
Take it further
Now that your body is accustomed to physical activity, it is time to take it further. Stretching could be one way to go about it. It flexes your muscles and also helps relieve tension and stress. Besides, it will also increase your range of motion.
If you wish to start off with stretching, think of yourself as a cat. Don't sit or stand with a jerk. Stretch your body before you settle in a particular position. Make it a point to breathe deeply as you stretch. If at all you are trying any extreme stretching movements, make sure you do some warm up exercise prior to that.
So, what are you waiting for? It is time to move and knock off those extra pounds.